Qamdo Travel Weather and Climate in June
Qamdo Weather and Climate in June
Minimum Temperature (℃): 8.2
Average Temperature (℃): 15.3
Maximum Temperature (℃): 22.5
When you travel to Qamdo in June, June is the start of the rainy season in Chamdo, though rain is rarely heavy and hard, with only 94mm falling through the entire month. Temperatures soar to an average of around 8 degrees, and peak somewhere around 14 degrees in the daytime.
What to Wear for a June Qamdo Travel
You should bring the following:
T-shirts and long sleeves to cope with the daily changing temperature
2-3 sweaters for cooler evenings and nights
Fleece or down jacket for when it gets cold in the daytime
Windproof and waterproof pants
Warm undergarments, as it can get chilly even in the height of summer
Rugged hiking boots or shoes for the rough rocky ground
Lip balm and sunglasses
Hats for both sunny days and cold days
Useful Travel Tips for your Qamdo Travel in June
- There are some medications for altitude sickness available, but you should consult your own doctor before you take them, and it is not recommended.
- Tibet Travel Permit: This permit is issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau and is required for all international travelers heading for Tibet. You need to apply for this permit one month prior to your arrival in Tibet as this permit takes some time to get ready and you need to produce the original copy of this permit at the Airport before you board the flight.
- For a good visit to Tibet you need to pack carefully, as it can be cold there at any time of the year. Make sure that you have your valid passport and Chinese Entry Visa with you at all times, and that it is kept secure or on your person at all times.
- No matter which season you go to Tibet, you should bring sunglasses and sun protection equipment, including sun hats, sunscreens etc.
- As it is the peak season of Tibet tourism, it is also best to book air tickets or train tickets to Tibet in advance.
- Due to the intense solar radiation, if you visit Tibet in June, you should wear sun glasses and sun bonnets to protect your skin.
Things to see and do at Qamdo in June
- The word “Saley” literally means “going for a picnic”, and from May to June in Chamdo, families take bedding, several days worth of food, and their tents, and head out into the countryside to relax. They set up their tents in groups, and enjoy the company, the food and drinking, and the horse races and other games, and only head home when they are fully sated.
- Chamdo Zhongque Festival (June 15, 2019)
Traditionally held on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Tibetan calendar, the Zhongque Festival in Chamdo is held in its biggest form in Riwoqe County. The oldest of the area’s traditional festivals, it is a major festival today for both religious and business activities, and was begun to celebrate the establishment of the main hall at the Chajiema Monastery in Dalong, a major Gelug monastery in Chamdo.
- Chamdo Horse Racing Festival (May to August, depending on location)
Horse racing festivals are common in Tibet. In Chamdo, they have been held for a long time since the throne was won by the hero Gesaer, who defeated all his rivals at a horse-racing festival, riding a horse with no saddle. Today, the festival is just as wild and exuberant, featuring horse races, archery, shooting at a gallop, picking-up a hada scarf on gallop, speed racing, demonstrations of horsemanship, and acrobatic riding.