Biru County Overview
Biru County is located in the eastern of Tibet Autonomous Region. Between Tanggula Mountains and Mount Nyenchen Tanglha, it lies at altitude of around 4,000 metres. The name of Biru County means "female yak". There are many mountains and valleys in this county, tourists can enjoy simple and unsophisticated folk customs and beautiful natural scenery.
‣ Basic Information of Biru County
- Chinese Name: 比如县
- Opening Time:All Day Long
- Areas: 11,429 km²
- Population: 60,000(2008)
- Dialing code: (+86) 0896
- Zip code: 852300
Biru County jurisdiction over 2 towns and 8 townships: Biru Town (比如镇), Xiaqu Town (夏曲镇), Baigar Township (白嘎乡), Yangxiu Township (羊秀乡), Xiangqu Township (香曲乡), Datang Township (达塘乡), Chaqu Township (茶曲乡), Liangqu Township (良曲乡), Zhala Township (扎拉乡) and Qiaze Township (恰则乡).
Climate of Biru County
Biru County belongs to the plateau sub cold or temperate semi humid monsoon climate zone. The annual average temperature is 2.9 ℃. The annual frost free period of Biru County is from October to April next year; the average annual rainfall is more than 580 millimeters. The common natural disasters in Biru County are snow disaster and wind damage. The best time to visit Biru County is spring and autumn.
Attractions in Biru County
• The Skeleton Wall(骷髅墙): it is located in the Damu Monastery(达木寺). Instead of using prayer stones, this wall is made of thousands actual human skulls. These skulls are from sky burials carried out within the nearby courtyard.
• Damu Monastery(达木寺): it is on the south of G317 Highway, between Sok and Nagqu. It has Tibetan’s strangest and least-visited sights--The Skeleton Wall.
• Sapu Mountain(萨普神山): it has the most unique beautiful glacier and peaks shape. Visitors can enjoy taking photos here.
• Chaqu Hot Spring(茶曲温泉): this hot spring contains some radioactive elements and minerals. It can help tourists promote blood circulation, accelerate metabolism and eliminate fatigue.
• Hipparion Ruins(三趾马遗址): tourists can enjoy Hipparion fossil here.
• Gongsa Monastery(贡萨寺): 4,300 m above sea level, it was built in the twelfth century.
‣ Best Time to Visit Biru County: spring and autumn
•Avoid High Altitude Sickness: because of the high altitudes climatic conditions of Biru County, visitors should pay attention to the prevention and cure of the syndromes including headache, dizziness, flustered, shortness of breath, the plateau response, especially people who have chronic respiratory disease or cardiovascular disease. In addition, bring enough water or drinks, fruits and snacks with high caloric content, like chocolate for fluid loss and energy consumption usually accompany the acclimatization process. Above all, taking a good rest is the most important.
‣Due to Tibetan elevation and strong UV, you had better bring sunglasses, gloves and high-quality sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher with you to avoid any direct exposure to the sun.
‣ Please try you best to respect the local folk customs, especially their religious belief and taboos when you traveling in Tibet.
‣ Don’t touch Tibetan’s head and shoulder without permission.