Damxung County Overview
Covering an area of 10,036 square kilometers(2013). Damxung County is located in the bounder of North Tibet and South. Tibet,'Damxung' means the selected grassland in Tibetan language. Because of the high coverage of grassland, Damxung County is regarded as the miniature of the Chang Tang or Northern Grassland.
‣ Basic Information of Damxung
Chinese Name: 当雄县
Population:More than 40,000
Location: Located in the Lhasa city of Tibet Autonomous Region
Coordinates: 29°31′—31°04′N /45′—91°31′E
Opening Time:All the day
Attractions of Damxung
▪ Nyenchen Tanglha Mountain: the watershed of Yarlung Zangbu River and Nujing River and divides Tibetan area into three parts: North Tibet, South Tibet and Southeast Tibet.
▪ Namtso Lake: one of the three holy lakes in Tibet and the largest lake at the highest altitude in the world.
▪ Eight Pagodas of North Tibet: 40 kilometers from the downtown, the eight white pagodas are built to commemorate a hero who laid down one's life on the battlefield.
▪ Yangpachen: The hot spring is one of the most famous and the best hot spring places in Tibet, which is surrounded by big rocky mountains, and the view is fascinating with blue sky.
Damxung is cold and dry in the winter, cool and wet in summer, with very variable weather. The climate of Damxung belongs to the plateau continental climate. The average annual temperature is 1.3 °C (34.3 °F), with only 62 frost-free days. The land is frozen from the start of November to the following March. Pasture has 90–120 days for growth.
Travel Tips of Damxung
Every tourists need the travel tips listed below when traveling to Damxung County.
●Take care of yourself, avoid catching cold, for it is difficult to recover from a cold at high altitude.
●Prepare necessary medicines against altitude in Lhasa or before you come to Tibet.
● Meanwhile, please do not act and move too fast even though you're taking photos and enjoying the stunning views,like running and jumping.