Lake Manasarovar Overview
Manasarovar Lake is 35 kilometers east of Burang County, Ngari region, Tibet, south of Mount Kailash. The natural scenery around the lake is very beautiful. Since ancient times, Buddhist believers have regarded it as the "world center" of the holy land, it is the second largest natural freshwater lake in China, the most transparent freshwater lake in China, and one of the three "holy lakes" in Tibet. It is also the birthplace of the four major rivers in Asia.
- Chinese Name: 玛旁雍错湖
- Meaning: "Manasavovar" is the Tibetan Language, which means "Invincible". Lake Manasarovar is one of the "three holy lakes" in Tibet, is also the birthplace of the four major rivers in Asia.
- Elevation: 4588 meters
- Area: 412 Square kilometers
- Location: Burang County of Ngari Prefecture in Tibet, South of Mount Kailash
- Whether: Abrupt and changeable
- Opening Time: All day
- Admission Fee: 150 yuan
- Deepest Point: 81.8 meters
- Culture: Ancient Zhang Zhung Culture
Gossul Monastery: On the shore of Manasarovar, this charming 16th-century monastery has been part of the Manasarovar for a long time and can now be reached by road. In the meanwhile, it's worth visiting the upstairs chapel with its painted stone carvings depicting of Bardo. The monastery was completely destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. Pilgrims stock up on packets of holy Manasarovar sand, incense and natural soap here.
Chiu Monastery: Located in the south of Darchen, Chiu (Sparrow) Monastery enjoys a fabulous location atop a craggy hill overlooking Lake Manasarovar. The main chapel contains the meditation cave and stone footprint of Guru Rinpoche, but most people focus on the lake views and the winding stone staircases of this fairy tale.
Monasteries: Around the Lake Manasarovar, except Gossul Monastery and Chiu Monastery, there are also other 3 monasteries, Langbona Monastery, Seralung Monastery and Trupo Monastery.
Best Time To Visit
It is recommended to get to Lake Manasarovar during April to June and September to October. From November to next April, the severe cold weather makes it tough to have a trip. And every July to August is the rainy season. In the rainy season(July and August), cars often get struck in the mud and delays happen frequently. The road keeps closed during winter and spring. But in summer, you will encounter many pilgrims from India and Nepal.
1. With the high altitude of about 5000 meters, changeable weather and strong wind during the day and night at Lake Manasarocar, you'd better bring some warm clothes and shoes, cold medicine and medicine for altitude sickness. Besides, remember to bring sun cream, sunglasses and other sunscreen products with you because of strong solar radiation in the daytime.
2. Meanwhile, please do not act and move too fast even though you're taking photos and enjoying the stunning views.
3. Food and accommodation conditions at Lake Manasarovar are limited, you'd better bring some foods and your own sleep bag.
4. Pay attention to the protection of environment when doing the mountain and lake kora, prepare the garbage bag in advance and take away your own garbage.