Mount Everest Transportation
Because foreign tourists are not allowed to travel alone in Tibet, after entering Tibet, travel to Everest base camp must be arranged by travel agents. Transportation to Mount Everest is by road, and it takes at least 8 hours to drive from Shigatse to Everest Base Camp.
How to Get to Mount Everest
There is no direct flight, train or long-distance bus to Mount Everest. You should enter Tibet first, usually via Lhasa. And Travel Entry Permit is needed.
Obviously, flight to Mount Everest is not available. You can fly to Lhasa or Shigatse first, then transfer to Everest Base Camp by tourist bus.
If you don't want to take the 6 hours' drive to Shigatse by van/tourist bus, our travel agent can arrange a train trip for you. Currently, there are 3 trains to and fro Shigatse railway station every day. When you are there in Shigatse, a van/bus trip will continue to head for Everest Base Camp.
It is suggested to get to Everest Base Camp from Lhasa by tourist bus/off-road vehicle. Since foreign tourists in Tibet must be accompanied by a local guide, this is the most popular mode of transportation for tour groups. Generally, tour buses are used for group Tours, while off-road vehicles are used as the main means of transportation for private groups of 1-3 people. The whole journey from Lhasa to Everest base camp on asphalt road will take 2 days. On the first day from Lhasa to Shigatse, you will pass by Yamdrok, Palcho Monastery and other scenic spots. The second day from Shigatse to Everest base camp, passing through Tingri county, will arrive at Everest base camp in the evening. If weather permits, you can watch the sunset view of Mount Everest.
Lhasa- Gyantse- Shigatse- Mount Everest
This route is the most popular driving route in Tibet and the most classic tourist route in Tibet. It connects the most cultural Lhasa with the most spectacular Mount Everest. The whole journey will take 2-3 days to complete. On the first day, we will start from Lhasa, pass by Yamdrok, karola glacier and Palcho Monastery, etc., and spend the night in Shigatse. The next day will drive from Shigatse to Mount Everest. If you want to just take your time, you can even spend an extra night in Gyantse, where you can visit Gyantse Dzong, Pala manor, and watch the night shows.
Lhasa- Shigatse- Mount Everest
This route also uses Shigatse as the middle point. It follows the 318 national highway from Lhasa, passing through Shigatse, the second largest city in Tibet, and goes directly to a fork in the road of Tingri county, where you will leave the 318 national highway and enter a well-paved road. Vehicles can directly escort you to Rongbuk Monastery. The route will also take 2 days. Upon your arrival in Shigatse on the first day, you will have time to visit Tashilhunpo Monastery. The next day, you will head for Rongbuk Monastery from Shigatse. It takes about 7- 9 hours for driving. So you'd better bring some food and drinks.
- Even in Lhasa, it's still a long way from Everest base camp. The direct distance from Lhasa to Everest base camp is about 450 kilometers, and the driving distance is about 700 kilometers. The continuous driving time takes about 14 hours, so it usually takes 2 days to reach Everest base camp from Lhasa in the journey.
- Driving route is along China's most beautiful national highway- 318 national highway from Lhasa, after arriving Tingri county, turnning to Everest road until Everest base camp. Today, the road from Lhasa to Everest base camp has realized the entire asphalt road, with smooth road surface, good road condition and less jolt, greatly reducing the difficulty of driving. But in order to drive safely, roads in Tibet have a relatively strict speed limit clause. The construction of roads in Tibet is limited by the terrain and topography, and there are many winding roads and roads near the river, which may be interrupted during the rainy season.
How to Get Around Mount Everest
When traveling at Mount Everest, hiking is a good way to get around Mount Everest.
Hiking Tours including Mount Everest
- 12 Days Tibet Hiking Tour from Tingri to Ra-chu Valley and Mount Everest Base Camp
- 15 Days Tibet Mount Everest Advance Base Camp Trekking Adventure Tour [6340M]
- 16 Days Tibet Mount Everest and Gama Valley Trekking Tour
- How to Get to Mount Everest from Shigatse
- How to Get to Mount Everest from Lhasa
- How to Get to Mount Everest from Kathmandu