Nagqu Travel Tips
Nagqu Travel Tips introduces some information about Nagqu travel, including useful numbers, transportation, best time to visit, dressing tips, post offices, banks and hospitals, etc. When plan your trip to Nagqu, view our answers to questions about Nagqu travel to get better understanding of Nagqu Tibet. Nagqu is a prefecture-level city located in the northern part of Tibet – between Tanggula Mountains and Nyenchen Tangula Mountains. It borders Xinjiang & Qinghai Province in the north and Chamdo Prefecture in the east, adjoin Lhasa, Nyingchi, Shigatse in the south and Ngari in the west. Covering an area of 450,543 square kilometers, Nagqu is the largest prefecture in Tibet.
- Fire: 119
- Police: 110
- Area code: 0893
- Ambulance: 120
- Weather Broadcast: 121
- Consumer Complaint: 12315
- Local Phone Number Inquiries: 114
- Long-distance Phone Number Inquiries: 113
More about Useful Numbers for Travelers in Tibet
Best Time to Visit Nagqu
From May to September is the best time to visit Nagqu. Nagqu is sub-arctic climate zone, cold and oxygen deficit. The climate is dry, windy, with the annual average temperature of -0.9 ℃ to -3.3 ℃. Every year from November to March is arid windy period, dry climate, low temperature, hypoxia wind, long duration. May to September is relatively warm. It is the best time to visit Nagqu.
- Spring: The average temperature of the spring in Nagqu is -14°C ~ 3°C. The average daytime temperature is 3°C and it is recommended to wear windbreaker, sweater, wool suits and other warm clothes. The average night temperature is -14°C and it is recommended to wear cotton coat, winter coat, leather jacket, thick coat, hat, gloves, down jacket, leather coat and other heavy warm clothes.
- Summer: The average temperature of the summer in Nagqu is 4°C-16°C. The average daytime temperature is 16°C and it is recommended to wear warm clothes such as suits, jacket, windbreaker, casual wear and thin sweater. The average night temperature is 4°C and it is recommended to wear windbreaker, coat, sweater, winter clothes and other warm clothes.
- Autumn: The average temperature of the autumn in Nagqu is -15°C ~ 2°C. The average daytime temperature is 2°C and it is recommended to wear windbreaker, coat, sweater, wool suit, winter clothes and other warm clothes. The average nighttime temperature is -15 °C and it is recommended to wear thick warm clothes such as cotton coat, winter coat, leather jacket, thick coat, hat, gloves, down jacket and fur coat.
- Winter: The average temperature of the winter in Nagqu is -19°C ~-1°C. The average temperature during the day is -1°C and it is recommended to wear thick warm clothes such as cotton coat, winter coat, leather jacket, thick coat, hat, gloves, down jacket and leather jacket. The average nighttime temperature is -19°C and it is recommended to wear thick warm clothes such as cotton coat, winter coat, leather jacket, thick coat, hat, gloves, down jacket, and fur coat.
Note: Due to the severe sunlight on the plateau and wide temperature division between day and night, you are highly advised to carry sunglasses, sun cap, sun blocking cream, lip cream, Aspirin, medicine for cold and digestion, etc.
Important Travel Tips for Visiting Nagqu
How to Get to Nagqu
Nagqu Dagring Airport (Chinese: 那曲达仁机场) is a planned airport that will serve in Nagqu of Tibet. At present, the train and long-distance bus are the main methods to get to Nagqu. Due to the construction of Qinghai-Tibet Railway, Lhasa can be reached by train from gateway cities-Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, etc. Some trains connecting Lhasa and the above gateway cities will stop in Nagqu Railway Station, so you can easily get to Nagqu by train from Lhasa or these major cities from China.
Nagqu cuisine includes the culinary traditions and practices and its peoples. The cuisine reflects the Tibetan landscape of mountains and plateaus. It is known for its use of noodles, goat, yak, mutton, dumplings, cheese (often from yak or goat milk), butter, yoghourt (also from animals adapted to the Tibetan climate) and soups. Vegetarianism has been debated by religious practitioners since the 11th century, but is not prevalent due to the difficulty of growing vegetables, and cultural traditions promoting consumption of meat.
Where to Stay in Nagqu
As a renowned tourist destination in Tibet, more and more hotels gather in Nagqu. Nagqu Hotels are mostly centralized in Seni District, which is the capital of Nagqu City. You will find ample of hotels in the city with most of them being budget or a little above budget. All your basic needs will be met here with absolute satisfaction. Many of these hotels are located just by the side of the highway that makes them easily accessible. The luxuries hotels are not available at present. However, there are several starred comfortable hotels and budget guesthouses for your consideration. The well-equipped facilities, cozy rooms and nice food in some hotels will make you at home.
Matters need attention
- Try not to take a shower when you get to Nagqu in case of catching a cold
- Prepare some disposable toilet seats.
- Wash your hands after using the remote control.
- It is best not to wear plastic slippers provided by the hotel.
- Before using the water glass, use the boiling water to disinfect.
- Although the hotel's bed sheet is replaced every day, it is best to prepare a set of comfortable pajamas
Things to Do in Nagqu
Nagqu, a place with long history, is always a heaven for many people all over the world. Nagqu is also a perfect destination for people who want to seek for antiquity, explore the fascinating natural sceneries. When you come to Nagqu, the top attractions in Nagqu are must-visit.
- Changtang Plateau
- Cona Lake
- Tangra Yumco Lake
- Tangla Mountain Pass
- Zhamu Sky Burial
- The Skeleton Wall
- Siling Tso Lake
- Drolma Canyon
Matters need attention
- Take care of your luggage and important things, such as passport and visa.
- Check out the weather report before your travel. Do not go sightseeing in bad weather.
- Respect and follow local custom and avoid conflicts.
Tibet Travel Permit is a must to travel in Tibet, and you can’t board your flight or trains to Tibet without it. It is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau only and can be applied by travel agencies on behalf of you only. To get the permit, you need book a Tibet tour with us, and send us your passport and Chinese visa about 20 days in advance, and then we will apply for the permit (all Tibet permits can only be applied by travel agency).
High Altitude Sickness Tips
Nagqu is about 4,500 meters above sea level. Most people will encounter more or less high altitude problems in the plateau. Most of them will be uncomfortable for 1-2 days, then they will be ok. These helpful measures are as follows:
- Make a physical examination before going to Nagqu.
- Do not take a shower as far as possible.
- Do not catch a cold as far as possible.
- Give up smoking and drinking.
- Take a oxygen bag if necessary.
- Pay attention to diet, eat food rich in vitamins that are easy to digest and drink plenty of water.
- Please don't hang flags in republic place.
- When entering monasteries, please don't show your arms and legs and wear hats and sunglasses.
- Ask for permission before taking photos for Tibetan people.
- Don't touch Tibetan's head and shoulder.
- Don't watch celestial burial without permission.
Banks in Nagqu
You can use cash and your passport to exchange for Chinese Yuan in every branch of Bank of China without fees charged. And 17 kinds of currency are supported, such as English pound, US dollar, Singapore dollar, Euro and so on.
- Bank of China(中国银行)
Add: No. 43 Zhejiang Middle Road, Seni District, Nagqu(那曲市色尼区浙江中路43号)
- China Construction Bank(中国建设银行)
Add: No. 18 Zhejiang West Road, Seni District, Nagqu City(那曲市色尼区浙江西路18号)
- Agricultural Bank of Chian(中国农业银行)
Add: No. 28 Zhejiang Middle Road, Nagqu Town, Nagqu City(那曲市那曲镇浙江中路28号)
Expresses and Post Offices in Nagqu
- ZTO Express(Nagqu Branch)(中通快递(那曲分公司))
Add: No. 3 Liaoning South Road, Seni District, Nagqu City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区那曲市色尼区辽宁南路3)
- YTO Express(圆通速递)
Add: East 300 meters of Zhongxin Hotel, Seni District, Nagqu City(那曲市色尼区中信大酒店往东300米)
- China Post(Liaoning Middle Road)(中国邮政(辽宁中路))
Add: No. 30 Zhejiang Middle Road, Nagqu Town, Nagqu City(那曲市那曲镇浙江中路30号)
Hospitals in Nagqu
- Nagqu People's Hospital(那曲人民医院)
Add: No. 15 Zhejiang Middle Road, Seni District, Nagqu City(那曲市色尼区浙江中路15号)
- Nagqu Tibetan Medicine Hospital(那曲藏医院)
Add: No. 8 Zhejiang West Road, Seni District, Nagqu City(那曲市色尼区浙江西路8号)
- Smoke-free Hospital(无烟医院)
Add: Nearby No. 1 Lhasa South Road, Seni District, Nagqu City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区那曲市色尼区拉萨南路1号附近)
Other Travel Tips for Visiting Nagqu
- In China, please had better not travel in peak seasons, such as Chinese New Year, International Labor Day and National Day. If you want to experience the traditional festival culture, Taking a tour during the traditional festivals of China can get the opportunity to experience the festivals culture.
- Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.
- Don't forget to prepare medicines based on your health condition, such as cold medicine, carsick medicine, altitude sickness medicine and so on. Because of long sunshine duration and strong solar radiation, please prepare a hat, sun cream and other sunscreen products.