Namtso Lake Travel Tips
Namtso Lake travel tips provide some considerations when traveling at Namtso Lake, which can help you to prepare a trip.
General Numbers in Tibet
- Fire: 119
- Police: 110
- Ambulance: 120
- Weather Broadcast: 121
- Area code of Lhasa: 0891
- Area code of Nagqu: 0896
- Consumer Complaint: 12315
- Local Phone Number Inquiries: 114
- Tourist complaint Center: 0891-6833476
- Long-distance Phone Number Inquiries: 113
Read More: Useful Numbers for Travelers in Tibet
Features of Namtso Lake
Namtso is located 250 kilometers north of Lhasa, known as "Heavenly Lake", attracting a large number of tourists every year. Most tourists will spend a day visiting Namtso, so what will they enjoy when visiting.
1. Lake Scenery
Namtso Lake takes the snow mountain as the background, with crystal clear lake water, extending all the way to the horizon. There is no wonder that it is called "Heavenly Lake". With hundreds of colored prayer flags hanging from steep cliffs, Lake Namtso is not just an attraction, the sound of prayer wheels fluttering in strong winds, reminding people of its sanctity.
The beauty of Namtso Lake begins in May, during which the frozen ice begins to melt. The water is startling blue, mingled with a clear sky and snow-capped mountains. In summer, yaks, sheep, birds and more animals dot the natural meadows by the lake. Colorful flowers, flying prayer flags, solemn Marnyi stone, all add the beauty and vitality for the lake. No matter which way you stand, you will be happy and uplifted.
2. Namtso Lake Kora
As a result of the Himalayan tectonic movement, the young Lake Namtso was born in the Paleogene. With the passage of time, once young Lake Namtso has become Tibet's most charming and most beautiful lake, 4718 meters above sea level, close to the heaven. In addition, it has been regarded as the birthplace of the Bonism of Tibetan Buddhism. As a result, the Namtso lake pilgrimage becomes an annual ritual for most devout prayers.
Namtso lake pilgrimage attracts prayers from all over the world in its unique way. Basically, there are two widely accepted ways to make a Namtso lake pilgrimage, circumambulating Tashi Peninsula or doing the entire lake kora. In addition, the main means of transportation to do lake kora are hiking, riding a motorcycle or driving an SUV. Hiking around the whole lake, depending on physical strength, takes 7 to 10 days. It takes only one to two days to drive around the whole lake.
Best Time to Visit Namtso Lake
The road to Namtso is closed from December to March because of the bad weather. From January to April and November to December, Namtso will be covered with snow and closed for visiting. So it is suggested that you visit Namtso Lake from June to September, especially in August, with pleasant temperature, pure sky and green grasslands. In addition, you can enjoy better accommodation and dining conditions.
Read more about Namtso Climate: Best Time to Visit Namtso in Tibet
There is no direct bus to get to Namtso Lake from Lhasa and the most popular way to Namtso Lake is car rental. The journey will be about 5-6 hours. You can also join a tour group, the local travel agency will arrange everything for you, including finding a car or bus to go to Namtso Lake.
Packing and Dressing Tips
1. Namtso Lake is located on the plateau of more than 4700 meters above sea level. People who do not acclimatize to the plateau environment are prone to altitude reaction, especially at night. Our advice is that you can stay in Lhasa and its surrounding low-altitude areas for a few days. When your body is ready, you can go to Namtso Lake. If you have no confidence on your physical conditions, don’t spend the night at Namtso Lake.
2. After arriving at the lake, you should keep warm all the time. Don’t take off your jacket even it is not so cold, or you may catch a cold, which is dangerous on the plateau. Avoid long and fast walking and other strenuous activities.
3. Visiting Namtso Lake, you only need to handle the Tibet Travel Permit issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau. Other permits, such as Alien’s Travel Permit, military permits and border pass, are not required. Travelers cannot apply for the permits alone. You must have China Travel Agency applying for the permit on your behalf. It usually takes 15 to 20 days to get a Tibet Travel Permit.
4. Down jacket and other warm clothes are necessary when travelling at Namtso Lake. Whether you wear a jacket or a shirt, it should be long-sleeved. It is recommended to bring a pair of strong, waterproof, warm and fit shoes. You can wear a hat and a scarf to protect your neck from sunburn during the day. Because of the strong solar radiation in the daytime, you can also bring sun cream, sunglasses and other sunscreen products.
Namtso area mainly involves two counties, Damxung County of Lhasa City and Baingoin County of Nagqu. The postal code of Damxung County is 851500, while Baingoin County is of 852500. There are many post offices and expresses in Lhasa with the development of logistics industry.
1. Lhasa Branch of China Post Office拉萨市邮政局
Address: Address: No.33, Beijing Middle Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa拉萨市城关区北京中路33号
2. Shunfeng Express(SF Express)
Address: Sera North Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa拉萨市城关区色拉北路
3. Damxung County Branch of China Post当雄县邮政局
Address: No.61, Danqu River East Road, Damquka Town, Damxung County, Lhasa拉萨市当雄县当曲卡镇县当曲河东路61号
4. Baingoin County Branch of China Post班戈县邮政局
Address: No.12, Tashi Middle Road, Pukpa Town, Baingoin County, Nagqu那曲市班戈县普保镇吉江扎西中路12号
There are many banks you can see in Lhasa. Here are mainly several banks in Damxung County and Baingoin County.
1. Agricultural Bank of China(Damxung County Branch)
Address: No.73-93, Danqu River East Road, Damxung County, Lhasa(Near Shenhu Hotel)拉萨市当雄县当曲河东路73-93号(当雄县天湖宾馆东)
2. Postal Savings Bank of China(Baingoin County Branch)
Address: No.14, Tashi Middle Road, Baingoin County, Nagqu那曲市班戈县扎西中路14号
Medical Conditions in Lhasa are much better than other regions. But hospitals are available in Damxung County and Baingoin County in case of emergency.
1. People's Hospital of TAR西藏自治区人民医院
Address: No. 18, North Linguo Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa, Tibet西藏自治区拉萨市城关区林廓北路18号
2. Houbei Hospital(厚北医院)
Address: No. 20, Yi Road, Taiyangdao, Chengguan District, Lhasa拉萨市城关区太阳岛一路20号
3. People's Hospital in Lhasa拉萨人民医院
Tel: 6323811 (Emergency Department)
Address: No. 1, East Beijing Road, Lhasa, Tibet拉萨市城关区太阳岛一路20号
4. People's Hospital in Damxung County当雄县人民医院
Address: No.147, Danqu River East Road, Damxung County, Lhasa拉萨市当雄县当曲河东路147号
5. People's Hospital in Baingoin County班戈县人民医院
Address: Pukpa Town, Baingoin County, Nagqu那曲市班戈县普保镇