Tingri County Travel Tips
On the foot of Mount Everest, Tingri County connects Dinggye and Sakya County to the east, Lhatse County to the northeast and borders Nepal to the south. The average altitude of Tingri County is 5000 meters with a total area of 14000 square kilometers. The total population is 62000, among which Tibetan and Han nationalities are the main inhabitants.
- Fire: 119
- Police: 110
- Ambulance: 120
- Area code: 0892
- Weather Broadcast: 121
- Consumer Complaint: 12315
- Local Phone Number Inquiries: 114
- Tourist complaint Center: 0891-6833476
- Long-distance Phone Number Inquiries: 113
Read More: Useful Numbers for Travelers in Tibet
Business Department of Tingri County Post Office(定日县邮政局营业部)
Add: No.8, Shanghai Road, Tingri County, Shigatse
Tingri County Post Office(Shelkar Town)
Add: Quxia Village, Shelkar Town, Tingri County, Shigatse
China Post Office(Everest Base Camp)
Add: Everest Base Camp, Tingri County, Shigatse
There are many banks providing service in Tingri County, mainly Agricultural Bank of China. Here are several of them.
Agricultural Bank of China
Add: No.6, Shelkar South Road, Tingri County
Add: No.4, Zhufeng North Road, Tingri County
Add: Tashi Dzom Township, Tingri County
Add: Gangga Town, Tingri County
Add: Kaimar Township, Tingri County
Beijing time is used in Lhasa. However, according to the time zone, the time of Lhasa is two hours later than Beijing. If calculated by longitude, the time of Lhasa is 100 minutes later than Beijing. So the time difference is also two hours late in Tingri County.
Tibet Travel Permit
Because of the special position of Tibet, foreign tourist should get Tibet Travel Permit before they go there. And Tibet Travel Permit is only issued by Chinese Tour Operators. In order to facilitate the complicated application process, working with a Chinese travel agency is recommended. A service fee of RMB 200 is usually required.
Best Time to Visit Tingri
May to October is the best time to visit Tingri because in this period, Tingri is warm and green with high oxygen content. From November to next April, the weather inTingri is cold and dry. Many scenic spots may not open to visit.
Due to the high altitude, many tourist may feel sick and dizzy when they first come to Tibet. It’s recommended to take medicines to pretend from the altitude reaction before starting your trip. And the local drugstores in Lhasa sell medicines against altitude sickness. And please delay your trip to Tibet if you have a cold.
- Please don’t hang flags in republic place.
- When entering monasteries, please don’t show your arms and legs and wear hats and sunglasses.
- Ask for permission before taking photos for Tibetan people.
- Don’t touch Tibetan’s head and shoulder.
- Don’t watch celestial burial without permission.
1. Keep warm and protect yourself from the harsh natural power is the prior thing to worry about. You are suggested to dress in layers (both thin and thick jackets). Down jacket is also recommended if you want to go to Mount Everest.
2. A pair of gloves, trekking shoes and clothes, and other trekking and camping gears are necessary for trekking up to Mount Everest. You should also bring rain gears if you travel in July and August.
3. You have to bring sunglasses, snow glasses, hats, lip balm, sunscreen to protect yourself from sunburn as the ultraviolet light is quite strong.