Giant Mani Stones in Dêngqên County, Chamdo
Chinese Name: 丁青玛尼石堆
English Name: Mani Stones in Dêngqên County, Chamdo
Location: Located in Dêngqên County, Chamdo Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Dengqen Mani Stones
Dêngqên Marnyi Stones（丁青玛尼石堆）is very unique in Tibet, where the size and the number of the stone piles are large and out of our expectation. There is no one in the whole district who can be compared with Dengqen Marnyi Stones. The unique Dêngqên Marnyi Stones become a beautiful scenery line in Chamdo Prefecture. In Dengqen County, the ubiquitous Marnyi Stones show the belief and worship of the pious Tibetan believers. They change the ordinary stones to the spiritual one with the carvings of the inscriptions and other totems generation after generation.
Naizhamo Marnyi Stones in Dengqen County
Naizhamo Marnyi Stone（乃查莫玛尼堆）is one of the largest and most famous Marnyi heaps in Tibet, which is located 30 km southeast of Dengqen County, Chamdo Prefecture. In Tibetan language, “naizhamo”（乃查莫）means the holy land of colorful flowers. Generations of people living on the plateau recorded their inner world by the material form—Marnyi Stones in the long-term historical development process, which is the catharsis of the spiritual life of the plateau people, and is also the product of the faith.
Qamdo Bangda Airport, also known as Bamda Airport, is located about 174 km from downtown Chamdo, about 3 hour’s drive. It is the world’s highest civil airport, has the longest airport runway, and is influenced by bad weather. At present, it has air connections to Lhasa and Chengdu (on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday). In addition, the flight from Lhasa to Chengdu departs Bangda Airport on Tuesday noon. The flight from Chengdu to Lahsa departs Bangda Airport on Thursday morning. Shuttle buses to the town are available. A taxi from the airport into the town costs around CNY 250 to CNY 300.
By long-distance bus
Chamdoo can be reached by bus from Chengdu, Lhasa, Mangkang, Chayu, Nagqu, Nyingchi, Bowo and other places. Then visitors can have a shuttle bus to Dengqen County.
A SUV charges normally CNY 1000 per day and CNY 1500 in peak tourist season, both excluding gas fee.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: one day
- Traveling Seasons: The best time to visit Dengqen County is May, June, September and October with the pleasant and lively weather.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Although Lhoka is at a relatively lower elevation area, some places of high elevation may easily cause altitude reaction. Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along one or two pieces of thermal clothing.
- Please try you best to respect the local folk customs, especially their religious belief and taboos when you traveling in Tibet.
- As well as the Tibet Entry Permit, you also need to apply for Border Permit for traveling as this destination lies near the Chinese territory boundary.
- Owing to the long distance and circuitous route, it is better to head for the attraction in the early morning.