Lhasa – Shigatse Trains
Shigatse and Lhasa are both under the jurisdiction of Tibet Autonomous Region. As the first batch of national historical and cultural cities, Lhasa is famous for its beautiful scenery, long history, unique customs, strong religious color, and is favored by tourists from home and abroad. There are well-known attractions in Lhasa, including Namtso Lake, Potala Palace and Jokhang Temple. Shigatse is the second largest city in Tibet, passengers there will be amidst clear lakes, beautiful grasslands, grand monasteries and ancient temples, washed with unique culture and customs. They include Tashilhunpo Monastery and Sakya Monastery. Located about 300 kilometers away from Shigatse, there is the world’s highest peak – Mt. Everest(Mt. Qomolangma). If one’s physique allows, one should at least pay a visit.
Railway Between Lhasa and Shigatse
The railway line from Lhasa to Shigatse, an extension of the Qinghai-Tibet railway, was put into use on August, 2014. The rail extension starts from the capital city of Lhasa and trail south along the Lhasa River to Doilungdeqen, and Quxu. Then it follows the Brahmaputra River and passes the canyon to reach Nyemo, Rinbung, and finally gets Shigatse. There are 6 railway stations designed between Lhasa and Shigatse on the rail. The average distance between each station is approximately 41 kilometers.
Along Lhasa-Shigatse Railway, passengers will sense as if that they are traveling in an old master oil painting because of the fairy tale landscape. Passengers can view up close Lhasa River- the “Ganges” of Lhasa and Tibet, and the Yarlung Tsangpo River Canyon– which rivals all world renowned canyons. Passengers will pass through Nyemo County- the home of melons and fruits, Rinbung County rich in mineral resources and Nyangqu River wetland where one comes upon birds and animals in their natural habitats.
Travel to Shigatse from Lhasa
In this part, how to get to Shigatse from Lhasa by train will be introduced. The transportation between Lhasa and Shigatse by train involves two railway stations, Shigatse Railway Station and Lhasa Railway Station. Taking train there in Tibet is more cost-effective than other vehicles. There are two daily direct trains from Lhasa to Shigatse. And there are also two transit trains, mainly transferring in Quxu County. The trains pass through three railway stations on the way, stopover time is 2 minutes each railway station. The whole journey is about 3 hours, and the price ranges from 40.5 yuan(hard seat) to 169.5 yuan(soft sleeper). You can choose different classes according to your need, like hard seat, soft seat, soft sleeper or no seat.
Lhasa-Shigatse Train Schedule
|Z8801||11:07||14:00||2h53m||2 minutes in Quxu County/2 minutes in Nyemo County/2 minutes in Rinbung County||Hard Seat: 40.5 CNY/Hard Sleeper: 111.5 CNY/Soft Sleeper: 169.5 CNY|
|Z6811||18:10||20:58||2h48m||2 minutes in Quxu County/2 minutes in Nyemo County/2 minutes in Rinbung County||Hard Seat: 40.5 CNY/Hard Sleeper: 111.5 CNY/Soft Sleeper: 169.5 CNY|
Remark: The Train from Lhasa to Shigatse is for your reference only. Please check the ticket information including the tickets fares at the railway station or by your tour advisors separately.
Travel to Lhasa from Shigatse
There are two daily direct trains from Shigatse, same with Lhasa to Shigatse, the trains pass through three railway stations(Ninbung, Nyemo and Quxu County) on the way, stopover time is 2 minutes each railway station. The whole journey is about 3 hours, and the price ranges from 40.5 yuan(hard seat) to 169.5 yuan(soft sleeper). You can choose different classes according to your need, like hard seat, soft seat, soft sleeper or no seat.
|Z8802||07:50||10:27||2h37m||/||Hard Seat: 40.5 CNY/Hard Sleeper: 111.5 CNY/Soft Sleeper: 169.5 CNY|
|Z6812||14:40||17:31||2h51m||2 minutes in Ninbung County, 2 minutes in Nyemo County and 2 minutes in Quxu County||Hard Seat: 40.5 CNY/Hard Sleeper: 111.5 CNY/Soft Sleeper: 169.5 CNY|
1. The above information is just for reference. if any change is based the real-time information.
2. You can book a train ticket yourself 10 days in advance at most. Or if you want to book ticket or arrange a Tibet tour, you can contact us, our travel consultant will provide attentive services. We have many tour packages related to Shigatse and Lhasa in Tibet. Check more information about Shigatse tour and Lhasa tour. Please contact us by Email: contact@YunnanExploration.com; Tel: +86-871-63511469.
3. Generally, the seats on the train in China have tow types including soft seat and hard seat. Also, there are two kinds of sleeper seats on China’s trains which are hard berth and soft berth. Hard berth are divided into upper berth, middle berth and lower hard sleeper (lower berth is the best); while soft berth are divided into upper berth and lower berth (lower berth is better).
4. In China, taking a train is a comparative cheaper way to cut down the travel cost. While correspondingly, the comfortable level is lower than by air.
5. You need to take the baggages by yourself and keep an eye on them during the journey. Trains in Tibet may be crowded when in the domestic travel seasons as well as summer holidays.
Lhasa Railway Station拉萨站
Address: Tongzhan Road, Doilungdeqen District, Lhasa拉萨市堆龙德庆区通站路
Shigatse Railway Station日喀则站
Address: Samzhubze District, Shigatse City日喀则市桑珠孜区