Meili Snow Mountain in Zogang County, Chamdo
Chinese Name: 左贡县梅里雪山
English Name: Meili Snow Mountain in Zogang County, Chamdo
Location: Located in Zogang County, Chamdo Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Meili Snow Mountain
Meili Snow Mountain（梅里雪山）also named as Kawagarbo Mountain（卡瓦格博）in Zogang County, is known as the first sacred mountain on the border of the southwest of China and Yunnan-Tibet. It is also the first sacred mountain in Tibet, which has a reputation as the “father of Snow Mountain”. Its main peak, Kawagarbo, is 6,740 meters above sea level with its northwestern section mainly located in Zogang County. The main scenery in the Scenic area mainly covers the main peak, the glacier of thousands of years, the moraine lake, the primitive forest, the spruce, the ruins of Ancient Tea-horse Road, etc.
Legend has it that people go to Meili Snow Mountain to circle the mountain have to pass through four divine doorways. It attracts a considerable worshipers of Qinghai, even Nepal, Bhutan and India to circle the mountain here. In 2011, the scenic spot was rated as national level AA scenic spot and an autonomous regional scenic spot.
Tourist can travel to Lhasa by air or train firstly and then transfer to Zogang by long-distance bus, which is the major choice. And you can transfer from Qamdo to Zogang County. There is no need for you to worry about the transportation.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: several days
- Traveling Seasons: March to October.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- Sunglasses is absolutely necessary for all seasons to protect your eyes from ultraviolet radiation and glisten of the snow
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along some pieces of thermal clothing, hat, and gloves and so on.
- Owing to the long distance and circuitous route, it is better to head for the attraction in the early morning.