Rutog Rock Paintings, Ngari
English Name: Rutog Rock Paintings
Location: Located in Rutog County(日土县), Ngari Plateau(阿里区), Tibet Autonomous Region, China
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All day
About Rutog Rock Paintings
Rutog Cliff Carvings is one of the most beautiful rock paintings discovered in Ngari Plateau.
History and Development of Rutog Rock Paintings
Deep and shallow lines of Rutog Cliff Carvings are carved on stones with hard rocks or other hard objects. Some pictures were even painted in rich colors. The contents are various including hunting, sacrificial rites, riding, domestic animal herding, and farming. Objects such as the sun and moon, mountains, cattle, horses, sheep, donkeys, antelopes, houses and people can also be found in some of the paintings.
Main Attractions- Rutog Rock Paintings
The contents are various including hunting, sacrificial rites, riding, domestic animal herding, and farming. Objects such as the sun and moon, mountains, cattle, horses, sheep, donkeys, antelopes, houses and people can also be found in some of the paintings. Simple and rough, they are full of vitality.
1. At Lhasa you can take a long-distance bus to Shiquanhe, costing CNY600-700. Upon arrival at Shiquanhe, you can take a direct bus to Rutog County, which is only around 12 kilometers (7.4 miles) from the destination. There you can rent a car for the rest of the journey. Or you can rent a car at Shiquanhe to reach the attraction directly.
2. Fly from Lhasa to Ngari, where you can rent a car to the attraction. On the way, you can also visit Mt. Kailash and Lake Manasarova, Ruins of Guge Kingdom, Tholing Monastery etc.
3. If there is sufficient time and budget, you can also rent a car at Lhasa and drive there. It may be expensive, but well worth the money as well as time-saving.
Attraction Travel Tips
1. Traveling Hours: 1~2 hours
2. Traveling Seasons: All year, the best time to travel are May and September .
3. High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Bring enough water and some thick clothes, eating more fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and so on.