Gyirong County Travel Tips
Gyirong County is famous for its legendary ancient temples and unique Tibetan customs. Gyirong Valley is a must to visit place for most first time travelers in Gyirong County. There are many famous ancient temples for tourists to have a religious tour such as Qiangdui Temple and Paba Temple.
1. Useful Numbers
- Fire: 119
- Police: 110
- Area code: 0893
- Ambulance: 120
- Weather Broadcast: 121
- Consumer Complaint: 12315
- Local Phone Number Inquiries: 114
- Long-distance Phone Number Inquiries: 113
Read More: Useful Numbers for Travelers in Tibet
2. Best Time to Visit Gyirong County
The best time to visit Gyirong county of Shigatse is during the summer months from June to September. Though comfortable all year long, the place is full of natural beauty during this time.
3. Time Difference
Beijing time is used in Lhasa. However, according to the time zone, the time of Lhasa is two hours later than Beijing. If calculated by longitude, the time of Lhasa is 100 minutes later than Beijing. So the time difference is also two hours late in Gyirong.
4. Altitude Sickness
Due to the high altitude, many tourist may feel sick and dizzy when they first come to Tibet. It’s recommended to take medicines to pretend from the altitude reaction before starting your trip. And the local drugstores in Lhasa sell medicines against altitude sickness. And please delay your trip to Tibet if you have a cold.
5. No-no Behavior
- Please don’t hang flags in republic place.
- Located in the border area, you must behave ourselves well.
- When entering monasteries, please don’t show your arms and legs and wear hats and sunglasses.
- Ask for permission before taking photos for Tibetan people.
- Don’t touch Tibetan’s head and shoulder.
- Don’t watch celestial burial without permission.
6. Dressing Tips
Normal summer clothes is available in summer but it's recommended to wear shirts and pants in the evening. In spring and autumn, warm clothings is needed, such as jackets.
7. Tibet Travel Permit
Because of the special position of Tibet, foreign tourists should get Tibet Travel Permit before they go there. And Tibet Travel Permit is only issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau. In order to facilitate the complicated application process, working with a Chinese travel agency is recommended.