Gonggar County Overview
Chinese Name: 贡嘎县 English IPA: Gong Ga Xian Location: located in Lhoka Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region Population (city): 50,000 Language: Tibetan Language Zip code: Tel code: Time zone:
Gonggar County is located in Lhoka Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region with a total area of 2,283 square kilometers. Situated at an average altitude of 3,750 meters, Gonggar County contains notable landmarks such as the Gonggar Choide Monastery, the Gonggar Dzong, and the Gonggar Airport and the Gonggar town.
Highlights of Gonggar County
Cultural Relics in Gonggar County
▪ Dorjezha Monastery（多吉扎寺）, situated on a hilltop, blends well with the rock setting and is named after the rock known as Vraja, the green coloured gemstones found behind the monastery. The literal meaning of ‘Dorjezha’ is “Diamond Hill.” It was initially built on modest lines, on the right bank of the Yarlung River by a wealthy local man known as Doxie Dorje. The monastery was destroyed completely in 1717 during Zungar invasion of this area. It was, however, rebuilt in 1718. Further, the monastery was supported by the Fifth Dalai Lama and consequently, it underwent major improvements and became one of the famous monasteries of Tibet.
▪ Mao Zedong statue(毛泽东塑像）: A large statue of Mao Zedong has been installed in the Gonggar County in Gonggar town. The statue was erected by contributions made by the people of Hunan Province, where Mao was born. The statue, erected in honour of the Chairman Mao, was in gratitude for the people of his hometown. The statue is erected on a 5.16 metres (16.9 ft) pedestal is 7.1 metres (23 ft) tall and weighs 35 tonnes and made in granite. It cost 480,000 yuan (US$60,000).
▪ Gyaideshiu town（杰德秀镇） (also spelt Jiedexiu Town) is famous for the Gyaideshiu ‘Bangdian’ apron not only among women in Tibet but also is in demand in Nepal, India, Bhutan and Western Europe. The town is located in the county, 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) to its east on the highway towards Zetang.Bangdian” is an apron of China’s Tibetan ethnic group with historic heritage of 1,500 years of hand weaving. This weaving technique is designated as “China’s state-level intangible cultural heritage.”
▪ Tudanremai Monastery（土旦热麦寺）is a key monastery of Sakya sect which is located in Gonggar County. It was once destroyed and began to be repaired in 1986. Now there are more than 40 monks in the monastery with a big scale.
Natural Landscapes of Gonggar County
▪ Quguori Mountain（曲果日山）on the south bank of Qushui Bridge is one of the four sacred mountains of Tibetan Buddhism, which is known as the “source of happiness in Tibet”.
Other Destinations in Gonggar County
Gonggar County Attractions
Cultural Relics in Gonggar County ▪ Dorjezha Monastery（多吉扎寺）, situated on a hilltop, blends well with the rock setting and is named after the rock known as Vraja, the green coloured gemstones found behind the monastery. The literal meaning of ‘Dorjezha’ is “Diamond Hill.” It was initially built on modest lines, on the right bank of the Yarlung River by a wealthy local man known as Doxie Dorje. The monastery was destroyed [...]
Gonggar County Tours
Gonggar County tours not only allow you to explore the brilliant Tibetan culture & authentic Tibetan customs, but also allow you to appreciate the natural charm of Tibet. We list the following Gonggar County tour packages that may interest you. Tailor-made tours are flexible and based on your personal preference. Gonggar County group tours are also available, which covers the popular tourist sites in Tibet. Start your trip to Gonggar County now. Here we list some attractive highlights in Gonggar County for visitors to [...]
Climate & When to Go
Gonggar County has monsoon climate. It has four climatic seasons with a long winter and hardly any summer season. The average temperature varies from 7.2–8.5 °C (45.0–47.3 °F), with the warmest month average temperature being 15.8 °C (60.4 °F) and the coldest month average temperature is −2.2 °C (28.0 °F). The average annual precipitation is 356.6 millimeters (14.04 in) with 29.9 rainy days. The annual sunshine hours are 3,194 and frost-free period is 142 days. It is subject to natural disasters from frequent storms with 40 days of [...]
Getting to Gonggar County is made easy via the Lhasa Gonggar Airport, located 39 miles from the city of Gonggar and a 40 to 60 minute drive. [...]
Festivals and Activities
The monastic community (there were 260 lamas in the past, now only 30) perform an annual festival of Mandala rituals from the 6th to the 15th day of the first lunar month, according to the Tibetan Calendar. Over a two-day period, 28 sand Mandalas are created according to the Carya, Yoga and Anuttarayoga Tantras. These are the concise deity cycles according to the Vajrapanjara namely, “the [...]
1. Best Travel Time: June to August 2. High Altitude Precaution. Although Lhoka is at a relatively lower elevation area, some places of high elevation may easily cause altitude reaction. Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time. 3. Prepare Food and Drinks. Since tourists have to spend 8 hours on travelling from Lhasa to Lhoka, you are suggested to get some snacks, fruit and water ready before the long riding journey. Bring your warm cloths and rain gear is [...]
To give the visitors a better trip in Gonggar County, we list some related maps about the county, including Gonggar County Maps, Gonggar County Tourist Maps, Gonggar City Map, and Gonggar County Location Map. [...]
Gonggar County Accommodation
Visitors can choose lots of hotels varied from budget one to five star in Gonggar County. Most of the hotels in Gonggar County provide high-qualified service. The prices are reasonable and all-inclusive. You can enjoy different style of breakfast, a western breakfast or a Tibetan breakfast. Parking is out of charge and free WiFi is equipped. The considerate services would make you relax and comfortable. No matter where you stay in Lhoka, you won’t miss any attractions of your journey. Tibet Haodi Grand Hotel（西藏豪迪大酒店）: Located in [...]