Ruorong Glacier in Dêngqên County, Chamdo
Chinese Name: 焫茸冰川
English Name: Ruorong Glacier in Dêngqên County, Chamdo
Location: Located in Dêngqên County, Chamdo Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Ruorong Glacier
Ruorong Glacier（焫茸冰川）is located in Dêngqên County（丁青县）, Chamdo Prefecture（昌都）, Tibet Autonomous Region, which is the one of the five completely-developed giant hanging glacier according to the research of China’s geographic team in recent years, among which the longest one starts from the top of Bujia Snow Mountain（布加雪山）to a moraine lake with an elevation of 4200 meters. The drop height of the hanging glaciers reaches more than 2100 meters which is really imposing and attractive. Ruorong Glacier is the largest and most densely distributed glacier in the world. At the bottom of the glacier is the frozen moraine lake, which mostly appears at the end of the glacier.
The Scenery of Ruorong Glacier
Every November to May of the following year, the moraine lake under Ruorong Glacier will be freezing; hence visitors can walk on the ice to get close contact with the glacier. Visitors can see the ice with glittering and translucent shine which looks just like the huge ivory jade. The surface of the glacier, consisting of a series of parallel ridges, resembles the ridges on the washboard. In the summer, the moraine lake gradually melts, and the ice floes like a variety of ivory jade floating on the surface of the lake, which will definitely captures visitors’ eyes.
Qamdo Bangda Airport, also known as Bamda Airport, is located about 174 km from downtown Chamdo, about 3 hour’s drive. It is the world’s highest civil airport, has the longest airport runway, and is influenced by bad weather. At present, it has air connections to Lhasa and Chengdu (on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday). In addition, the flight from Lhasa to Chengdu departs Bangda Airport on Tuesday noon. The flight from Chengdu to Lahsa departs Bangda Airport on Thursday morning. Shuttle buses to the town are available. A taxi from the airport into the town costs around CNY 250 to CNY 300.
By long-distance bus
Chamdoo can be reached by bus from Chengdu, Lhasa, Mangkang, Chayu, Nagqu, Nyingchi, Bowo and other places. Then visitors can have a shuttle bus to Dengqen County.
A SUV charges normally CNY 1000 per day and CNY 1500 in peak tourist season, both excluding gas fee.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: one day
- Traveling Seasons: The best time to visit Dengqen County is May, June, September and October with the pleasant and lively weather.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Although Lhoka is at a relatively lower elevation area, some places of high elevation may easily cause altitude reaction. Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along one or two pieces of thermal clothing.
- Please try you best to respect the local folk customs, especially their religious belief and taboos when you traveling in Tibet.
- As well as the Tibet Entry Permit, you also need to apply for Border Permit for traveling as this destination lies near the Chinese territory boundary.
- Owing to the long distance and circuitous route, it is better to head for the attraction in the early morning.