The Best Time to Visit Lhasa
The best time to visit Lhasa is from April to October and the peak season is from May to September. During that period, the climate in Lhasa is warm and humid.
If you want to visit Lhasa during summer and fall, you can visit Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple as well as Drepung Monastery in the daytime and explore the strong and mysterious Tibetan culture. In the event that you arrive at Lhasa just during the Shoton Festival, you can enjoy the discount off the normal admission price in Lhasa. Moreover, it is also the best time to experience the plateau thermal spring and climb the snow mountain.
Lhasa Weather introduction
The climate is a plateau temperate semi-arid monsoon climate zone, with annual sunshine hours of 3,000 hours, 1,800 hours more than Chengdu city in Sichuan province and 1,100 hours more than Shanghai city, China’s largest eastern city. it is among the top cities in China, hence the laudatory name of “Solar City”.
Lhasa City is located in the northern side of the Himalayas. Influenced by downward flow, it has sunny weather throughout the year, with little rainfall, no severe cold in winter and no extreme heat in summer. The highest temperature in history is 29.6 degrees Celsius, the lowest temperature is minus 16.5 degrees Celsius, and the annual average temperature is 7.4 degrees Celsius.
Four Seasons of Lhasa
Average temperature: -4℃ ~ 11℃, slightly cold
- Weather Feature: Lhasa is characterized by windy weather. In general, this period of time can also be called windy season. There is very little precipitation in Lhasa in spring.
- What to Bring: Spring in Tibet is usually windy, so don’t wear too little. In spring, Tibet is not as warm as mainland China, especially the south China. It is suggested to wear sweaters and coats on the top, and long Johns and trousers on the lower body. (If you want to go to Mount Everest, Namtso, Ali, etc., you are recommended to wear down jacket).
- Recommended Tour Activities: Spring is the sunniest season of the year in Lhasa. You can enjoy the sunshine in Jokhang Temple square, Potala Palace square, rooftop of your hotel, or soak in Yangbajing hot spring. A trip from Lhasa to Nyingchi to enjoy the sight of cherry blossom is also a choice for many travelers.
Average temperature: 8℃ ~ 21℃, hot during the day and cold at night
- Weather Feature: The summer in Lhasa is warm and humid, and is the best season for travelling. Compared with spring, summer in Lhasa is characterized by raining quite a lot, most of which falls at night.
- What to Bring: On the one hand, you need to prevent sunburn; On the other hand, you should prepare for rainfall. When the sun comes out, if you wear less, you will get tanned and sunburned; On rainy days, when the sun disappears, if you wear less, you will feel cold. It is recommended to wear anorak (rain proof), sport pants, and trousers. But if you go to Mount Everest and Namtso, the accommodation condition is relatively humble. Because the temperature is very low in the morning and evening, people who are afraid of catching a cold are advised to bring thick sweaters.
- Recommended Tour Activities: It is suitable for travelers to go to Lhasa to spend the summer. At this time, Namtso lake has been released from ice, and the lake is extremely beautiful.
Average temperature: 11℃ ~ 23℃, cool and pleasant
- Weather Feature: Rainy season in Lhasa is coming to an end(July and August are famous rainy seasons in Tibet, and in late August and early September, the rainy season gradually passes away). The clear and refreshing autumn weather is neither cold nor hot.
- What to Bring: You can wear clothes like summer. The climate and weather are more comfortable than summer. Be sure to bring long Johns, or knitted pants, with you.
- Recommended Tour Activities: July 1st in Tibetan calendar (the end of August in Gregorian calendar) is the Shoton festival of Tibetan calendar in Lhasa. At that time, people can not only enjoy Tibetan opera performances, but also have the opportunity to visit the Buddha paintings displayed by Drepung monastery and see the magnificent scene. Travel in this time, you may also take part in the Bathing Festival and Ongkor Festival.
Average temperature: -2℃ ~ 14℃, it is freezing
- Weather Feature: The temperature difference between day and night in Lhasa is large in winter. Although it is warm under the strong sunlight of daytime, the temperature is very low at night.
- What to Bring: You need to put on down jacket this season. The sun is stronger by day, you are supposed to bring sunscreen products. And pay attention to keep warm in the evening.
- Recommended Tour Activities: The lively atmosphere of the Tibetan New Year is the biggest attraction for travelers. Besides enjoying the hot springs and overlooking the snowy mountains, people have the opportunity to see the beauty of enveloping snow.
Spring and Autumn is the best time to travel to Lhasa. If you don’t mind occasional mild showers, summer is also an ideal place to go. The temperature has been above 10 degrees celsius for several months. These months are also the busiest time for travel. Although November and December are winter months, you can still travel. The scenery of Mount Qomolangma is the best in these months.
Useful Travel Tips for your Tibet Ngari
- Because of individual differences, individuals will have slight high reaction, such as low fever and dizziness. The body will have a process of gradual adjustment. Of course, if you have a cold and a high fever, you have to see a doctor in time. You can’t delay getting sick in Tibet, because it is easy to cause pulmonary edema and cerebral edema, and you can’t joke about your life.
- A few days before the trip, you can eat some rhodiola rosea. When traveling, you can bring a little glucose. Glucose is very effective. You can prepare more. It is very useful for dizziness. It is better to buy more sets of clothes. In addition, cold medicine, antipyretics, antiviral oral liquid and oxygen bottles need to be prepared.
- Fruits need to be prepared by oneself. Tibet is short of materials. Many fruits are not fresh and expensive. It is suggested to bring two boxes of fruits that can be stored for a long time, such as apples and pears. Those who like to eat snacks can bring them according to their hobbies! Food must be prepared for at least two days, in case of landslides on the road, traffic jam will be in trouble, you can go to the supermarket to supply food to the county seat!
More Information About Lhasa