Comai County Overview
About Comai County
Comai County is located in the south-east of the Tibet Autonomous Region, Lhoka Prefecture, Tibet. It is famous for its Tibetan Mastiffs and known as the home of Tibetan Mastiff. Tibetan Mastiff is 24-28 inches tall (at shoulder) and weighs 140-180 pounds. The dog is commonly found wearing a red yak's-hair collar.
The Climate in Comai County
The prevailing climate in Comai is known as a local steppe climate. During the year, there is little rainfall in Comai. The average temperature in Comai is 4.4 °C. The average annual rainfall is 328 mm. The driest month is January. There is 0 mm of precipitation in January. Most precipitation falls in July, with an average of 94 mm. With an average of 12.3 °C, July is the warmest month. In January, the average temperature is -4.9 °C. It is the lowest average temperature of the whole year. The precipitation varies 94 mm between the driest month and the wettest month. The average temperatures vary during the year by 17.2 °C.
The Attractions of Comai County
▪ Zhegu Lake（哲古湖）：There are more than 22 lakes in Comai County, among which Zhegu Lake is the largest one which is located 60 km away from Zhegu Town with an elevation of 4600 meters. It belongs to the inward flowing river whose water source is mainly from the ice and snow melt water.
▪ Zhegu Grassland（哲古草原）is located 50 kilometers northeast of Comai County with an average elevation of 4600 meters, which is the pure pastoral area of Lhoka Prefecture.
▪ Qiala Tuoqang Snow Mountain（恰拉脱岗雪山）: It is located in Qiaza Village, Naixi Township, the southwest of Comai County with an elevation of 6785 meters of the highest peak.
▪ Guru Lacuo（古如拉错）: There is a sacred lake near Qiala Tuoqang Snow Mountain（恰拉脱岗雪山） which is called Guru Lacuo（古如拉错） meaning the spiritual lake of Buddha padmasambhava. Legend has it that if you worship the lake, you can see your past life. The lake can only arrive on horseback or on foot.
▪ Shiwai Taoyuan（世外桃源）: There is a secluded area not far from the village of Naixi Village which is surrounded by snow mountains and a holy lake called Yongcuo Lake（雍措）.
▪ Gatang Bangba Pagoda（噶唐蚌巴奇塔）is located at 3.8 km southeast of Comai County, which is about 4010 meters above sea level.
▪ Dangxu Monastery（当许寺）is located on the Banks of Dangxu River（当许河） in the south of Comai County, 4200 meters above sea level.
▪ Mowujue Monastery（莫吾觉寺）is located on the east side of Comai County at an altitude of 5,000 meters, which has a history of hundreds of years. It is a famous monastery of Nyingma sect.
▪ Mawujue Monastery（玛悟觉寺）is located in the northeast of Comai County, on the mountainside of Mawujue（玛悟觉山腰）with an altitude of 4,500 meters. It has a history of more than 1,000 years.
▪ Naixi Monastery（乃西寺）is located 15 kilometers away from Comai County, which is 3,800 meters above sea level.
▪ Lasha Duoren Altar（拉莎朵仁祭坛）is located about 5 km southeast of Zhazha Village（扎扎村）, Comai County. In Tibetan language it means the "sacred feldspar".
▪ Lasha Duoren Tombs（拉莎朵仁墓群）: Beside Lasha Duoren Altar（拉莎朵仁祭坛）, there is a small patch of cemetery which is considered as the early burial for Tubo Regime（吐蕃）after excavations.
▪ Dangxu Castle Ruins（当许古堡遗址）: It is really similar to the Tsaparang ruins（古格遗址）in Zanda County（札达县）, Ngari Prefecture（阿里地区）, which is located in Comai County.
▪ Dangbazong Ruins（当巴宗遗址）: Located in Dangba Village（当巴村）, Comai County, Dangbazong Ruins was built in the 13th century.
Local Specialties in Comai County
Tibetan mastiff（藏獒）: Gudui Township（古堆乡）, Comai County（措美县）is the original land of Tibetan mastiff（藏獒）. In Tibetan mastiff is the loyal partner and protection god of local herdsmen and livestock.
Jiaqian Colorful Boots（甲黔彩靴）is very unique with the distinctive regional characteristics, which contains the profound dress culture of the herders in Zhazha Village（扎扎村）, Comai County. Jiaqian Colorful Boots which is originated in Comai County have been declared as the intangible cultural heritage of Tibet Autonomous Region.
The Festival and Activities in Comai County
Zhegu Herdsmen Festival（哲古牧人节）has been listed as one of the activities of Yalong Cultural Festival（雅砻文化节）, which is usually held on the lakeside of Zhegu Lake（哲古湖）from August 25th to 29th.
Ciqu Festival（次曲节）is held every 10th to the 11th of May in Tibetan Calendar, which is one of the spectacular and special religious festivals full of Tibetan ethnic characteristics. It is mainly held in Mawujue Monastery（玛悟觉寺）.
The Travel Tips in Comai County
1. The best time to visit Comai County is Spring and Summer with the pleasant and lively weather.
2. Suggested Traveling Day: Four Days
3. High Altitude Precaution. Although Lhoka is at a relatively lower elevation area, some places of high elevation may easily cause altitude reaction. Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
4. Prepare Food and Drinks. Since tourists have to spend 8 hours on travelling from Lhasa to Comai County, you are suggested to get some snacks, fruit and water ready before the long riding journey. Bring your warm cloths and rain gear is always a good idea if you go to Comai County in summer.
The Transportation of Comai County
The whole county highway is in the middle of the road, formed the highway traffic network which centered with Tsedang Town, connecting the 12 counties of Lhoka Prefecture.It is the main transport hub of the south of Tibet.