Shannan(Lhoka) Weather & Climate describes information with temperature & precipitation. Find out the best time to visit Shannan and see the season highlights in Shannan Tibet. It also tells you what to wear in different seasons and clothes packing for your trip to Shannan Tibet.
Shannan Climate & Weather
Shannan(Lhoka) enjoys a temperate and dry climate, with average annual rainfall of less than 450 millimeters. The rainy season is concentrated between June and September. Annual sunshine is between 2,600 and 3,300 hours. Average annual temperature is between 6.0 and 8.8℃, with the record high at 31℃ and a low at 37℃ below zero. Average annual wind speed is about 3 meters/second, with the fastest speed at 17 meters/second. The windy season is concentrated between December and March of the next year. There are several features of Shannan(Lhoka) Climate, such as, not distinct four seasons, moderate temperate, adequate light, thin air, dry, uneven distribution of annual precipitation, and diverse climate resource allocation.
Shannan Weather Graph by Month
The driest month is December with an average rainfall of 29mm. The wettest month is July with an average rainfall of 163mm, which reaches its peak.
Shannan Average Temperature
The hottest month of the year is July, with an average temperature of 28.1°C. The coldest month of the year is January, with an average temperature of -2.8 °C.
Shannan Weather by Month
Between the driest and wettest months, the difference in precipitation is 134 mm. The variation in annual temperature is around 24.7 °C.
Shannan Weather and Climate by Month
Four Seasons of Shannan and What to Pack
- Seasonal Characteristics: The spring weather in Shannan is still a bit cold, and in the spring, Shannan is windy and the sun is shining brightly. At this time, the temperature in Shannan is still relatively low, with an average temperature of 10℃.
- What to Pack: The pants can be the thick long johns+thick over-trousers. The tops can be thick autumn clothes+a thick sweater+a thick coat. Shoes are recommended to choose thick sneakers, and socks should be thicker. Underwear is recommended to choose pure cotton, which can effectively reduce static electricity and be comfortable to wear.
- Seasonal Characteristics: The summer in Shannan is very comfortable and cool, and the average daily temperature is about 25℃, which is a good place to escape the heat. Although it is rainy in the rainy season, it is the peak season of Shannan tourism. It is important to pay attention to the temperature in Shannan, so be careful not to catch a cold.
- What to Pack: When the sun comes out during the day, the outdoor temperature will be a bit high and the ultraviolet light will be strong. Shorts are not recommended. Please pay attention to sun protection. The indoor temperature is very refreshing during the day and long sleeves are enough. Summer in Shannan does not use air conditioning.
- Seasonal Characteristics: In the autumn of Shannan, the chill is rising. However, the fall of Shannan is very short, only two months. The temperature is similar to that of spring, but the climate is drier. It is a little chilly in the morning and evening, and the temperature is still very comfortable during the day. The autumn scenery of Shannan is very beautiful, the sky is also blue and transparent. The leaves are yellow along the way from Lhasa to Shannan, which is very gorgeous.
- What to Pack: Pants can be thick long johns+ thick over-trousers. The tops can be thick autumn clothes+ a thick sweater+ a thick coat. Shoes can be sneakers, and underwear is mainly made of pure cotton.
Winter(November-February of the next year)
- Seasonal Characteristics: The winter in Shannan is relatively long and a bit cold, but it is not as cold as everyone thinks, even warmer than most cities in northern China. The winter in Shannan is sunny and the tourists are much fewer and more clean than in summer. Therefore, many tourists choose to visit the temples in Shannan in the winter.
- What to Pack: The tops shall be thick autumn clothes+a thick sweater+a thick coat(more ideal for down jackets). Pants shall be thick long johns+thick sports pants.
Best Time to Visit Shannan
The best time to visit Shannan(Lhoka) is from June to August. However, Shannan is suitable for visiting all year round. Shannan Prefecture is located in the river valley of the middle reaches of the Yarlung Zangbo River, belonging to the temperate semi-arid and sub-humid plateau monsoon climate, with a long winter without summer, no cold winter. The average annual temperature is 5 ~ 8 ℃, the average temperature in the coldest month is 2 ~ 12 ℃, and average temperature of the warmest month is 10 ~ 18 ℃. It is the prefecture which is relatively warm in the entire Tibetan Plateau.
Travel Tips for Visiting Shannan
- In China, please had better not travel in peak seasons, such as Chinese New Year, International Labor Day and National Day. If you want to experience the traditional festival culture, Taking a tour during the traditional festivals of China can get the opportunity to experience the festivals culture.
- Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.
- The average altitude of Shannan is around 3400 meters. You may suffer slightly from high altitude sickness in the first two days, but don't worry you can acclimatize yourself gradually by going for some leisure walking instead of strenuous activity after arrival. You'd better not have bath, in case of catching a cold. Drinking more water and having some fruit will be helpful.