Shannan Travel Tips
This page offers some useful Shannan Travel Tips for you to get a better travel experience. Shannan can be listed as the first destination in your itinerary in Tibet. While Some other travelers take Lhasa as the starting point and then transfer to Shannan instead. It is usual to undertake a 6-day tour combining Shannan and Lhasa. You may find both brilliant historic sites and fabulous sights in Shannan. Shannan travel tips will also be helpful to your Tibet Tours.
- Fire: 119
- Police: 110
- Area code: 0893
- Ambulance: 120
- Weather Broadcast: 121
- Consumer Complaint: 12315
- Local Phone Number Inquiries: 114
- Long-distance Phone Number Inquiries: 113
Read More about Useful Numbers for Travelers in Tibet
Best Time to Visit Shannan
Because of the warm and moisture laden winds from the Indian Ocean, Shannan enjoys a relatively moderate temperature and weather. Paying a visit to the landmarks of Shannan, like Yungbulakang Palace, Samye Monastery and Yamdrok Lake only, you can plan your trip all the year around. The best time to visit Shannan(Lhoka) is from June to August. Shannan Prefecture is located in the river valley of the middle reaches of the Yarlung Zangbo River, belonging to the temperate semi-arid and sub-humid plateau monsoon climate, with a long winter without summer, no cold winter. The average annual temperature is 5~8 ℃, the average temperature in the coldest month is 2~12 ℃, and average temperature of the warmest month is 10~18 ℃. It is the prefecture which is relatively warm in the entire Tibetan Plateau.
- Spring(March-April): The pants can be the thick long johns+thick over-trousers. The tops can be thick autumn clothes+a thick sweater+a thick coat. Shoes are recommended to choose thick sneakers, and socks should be thicker. Underwear is recommended to choose pure cotton, which can effectively reduce static electricity and be comfortable to wear.
- Summer(May-August): When the sun comes out during the day, the outdoor temperature will be a bit high and the ultraviolet light will be strong. Shorts are not recommended. Please pay attention to sun protection. The indoor temperature is very refreshing during the day and long sleeves are enough. Summer in Shannan does not use air conditioning.
- Autumn(September-October): Pants can be thick long johns+ thick over-trousers. The tops can be thick autumn clothes+ a thick sweater+ a thick coat. Shoes can be sneakers, and underwear is mainly made of pure cotton.
- Winter(November-February of the next year): The tops shall be thick autumn clothes+a thick sweater+a thick coat(more ideal for down jackets). Pants shall be thick long johns+thick sports pants.
Important Travel Tips for Visiting Shannan
How to Get to Shannan
Due to the development in recent years, the transportation system of Shannan is considerately improved. It consists of 12 counties all of which are connected by highways. Travelers can directly head to most of Shannan attractions, such as Samye Monastery, Yamdrok Lake, etc. Generally, flight and driving are two better choices to get to and out of Shannan.
Shannan, or Lhoka is located in a relatively sparse area and the climate is a little bit harsh. And the special food we are going to advise is the same as the traditional food in other area. In Tibetan people's daily life, tea, fresh milk, and yogurt are indispensable. A variety of cooked wheaten food and staple have been similar to those in any other areas in China, but residents here still keep the habit of having traditional buttered tea, pork, beef and mutton. Famous food and drinks in Shannan include Yak Meat, Zanba/Tsampa, Tibetan yogurt, Buttered Tea and Highland Barley Wine, etc.
Shannan is a place that many people yearn for, and some may only come here once or twice in their whole lives. While Lhasa is the political, economic, cultural and transportation center of Tibet, attracting a crowd of tourist from home and abroad every year. Therefore, in addition to taking beautiful photos and tasting authentic Tibetan food, most people will buy some souvenirs when they leave. The main souvenirs are religious objects, Tibet crafts, Tibetan medicines.
Where to Stay in Shannan
As a top tourist resort, there are a lot of inns and hotels in Shannan with different standards. Shannan(Lhoka) hotels mostly gather in Tsetang town because of its travel resources. Accommodation of Tsetang is not that super but relatively pleasant. Travel resources here are abundant. Besides, the Tibet famous Samye Monastery, the Yungbulakang Palace and Trandruk Monastery are very close to Tsetang Town.
Matters need attention
- Try not to take a shower when you get to Shannan in case of catching a cold
- Prepare some disposable toilet seats.
- Wash your hands after using the remote control.
- It is best not to wear plastic slippers provided by the hotel.
- Before using the water glass, use the boiling water to disinfect.
- Although the hotel's bed sheet is replaced every day, it is best to prepare a set of comfortable pajamas
Things to Do in Shannan
Shannan, a place with long history, is always a heaven for many people all over the world. Shannan is also a perfect destination for people who want to seek for antiquity, explore the fascinating natural sceneries. When you come to Shannan, the top attractions in Shannan are must-visit. Shannan, known as a land of wonders, both natural and man-made, will make you forget to leave.
- Yamdrok Lake
- Samye Monastery
- Yungbulakang Palace
- Yarlung Tsangpo River
- Chimpu Meditation Center
- LamuLacuo Lake
- Yarlung Tsangpo Valley
Matters need attention
- Take care of your luggage and important things, such as passport and visa.
- Check out the weather report before your travel. Do not go sightseeing in bad weather.
- Respect and follow local custom and avoid conflicts.
Tibet Entry Permit is required before visiting Shannan and the nearby towns and attractions, such as Namtso Lake, Ganden Monastery. It is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau. You must have it to take your flight/train to Tibet. To get the permit, you need book a Tibet tour with us, and send us your passport and Chinese visa about 20 days in advance, and then we will apply for the permit (all Tibet permits can only be applied by travel agency).
The average altitude of Shannan is about 3,400m (12,139ft), really low compared with some other regions in Tibet. While visiting the landmarks in/around Tsedang, like Yungbulakang Palace, Samye Monastery and Trandruk Monastery, tourists seldom get a serious high altitude sickness. If you want to drive to Yamdrok Lake, you need to pass Kambala Pass with a high altitude of 5,030 meters. Remember to drink more water, keep warm and avoid strong activities. Your tour operator will also prepare oxygen supply for emergency use.
- Please don't hang flags in republic place.
- When entering monasteries, please don't show your arms and legs and wear hats and sunglasses.
- Ask for permission before taking photos for Tibetan people.
- Don't touch Tibetan's head and shoulder.
- Don't watch celestial burial without permission.
Banks in Shannan
You can use cash and your passport to exchange for Chinese Yuan in every branch of Bank of China without fees charged. And 17 kinds of currency are supported, such as English pound, US dollar, Singapore dollar, Euro and so on.
- Bank of China((中国银行)
Add: No. 6 Hunan Road, Tsetang Town, Nedong District, Shannan City(山南市乃东区泽当镇湖南路6号)
- Agricultural Bank of China(中国农业银行)
Add: No. 1 Deji, Gonggar County, Shannan City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区山南市贡嘎县德吉1号)
- China Construction Bank(Shannan Branch)(中国建设银行(山南分行))
Add: No. 18 Nedong Road, Shannan City(山南市乃东路18号)
- Agricultural Bank of China(Nedong District Sub-branch)(中国农业银行(乃东区支行))
Add: No. 39 Nedong Road, Tsetang Town, Nedong District, Shannan City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区山南市乃东区泽当镇乃东路39号)
Expresses and Post Offices in Shannan
- China Post(Nedong District Post Office)(中国邮政(乃东区邮政局营业厅))
Add: No. 17 Hunan Road, Tsetang Town, Nedong District, Shannan City(山南市乃东区泽当镇湖南路17号)
- China Post(Gyaca Post Office)(中国邮政(加查县邮政局))
Add: Gyaca County, Shannan City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区山南市加查县)
- STO Express(申通快递)
Add: No. 6 Bare Street, Nedong District(乃东区巴热街6)
- BEST Express(百世快递)
Add: No. 2 Xiangqu East Road, Nedong District, Shannan City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区山南市乃东区香曲东路2)
Hospitals in Shannan
- Shannan Jianmin Hospital(山南健民医院)
Add: The Intersection of Hubei Avenue and Minzu Road, Tsetang Town, Nedong District, Shannan City(山南市乃东区泽当镇湖北大道与民族路交叉口)
- Shannan Huakang Hospital(山南华康医院)
Add: No. 40 Nedong Road, Tsetang Town, Nedong District, Shannan City(山南市乃东区泽当镇乃东路40号)
- Gonggar County People's Hospital(贡嘎县人民医院)
Add: No. 12 Deji Road, Gonggar County(贡嘎县德吉路12号)
- Lhunze County People's Hospital(隆子县人民医院)
Add: No. 5 Zhegu Road(哲古路5号)
Other Travel Tips for Visiting Shannan
- In China, please had better not travel in peak seasons, such as Chinese New Year, International Labor Day and National Day. If you want to experience the traditional festival culture, Taking a tour during the traditional festivals of China can get the opportunity to experience the festivals culture.
- Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.
- Don't forget to prepare medicines based on your health condition, such as cold medicine, carsick medicine, altitude sickness medicine and so on. Because of long sunshine duration and strong solar radiation, please prepare a hat, sun cream and other sunscreen products.