Nyalam County Overview
Chinese Name: 聂拉木县 English IPA: Niè Lā Mù Xiàn Location: Nyalam County is a county in Tibet's Shigatse Prefecture. It borders on Nepal Population (city): 20,000 persons (by the end of 2010) Language: Tibetan language and mandarin Chinese Zip code: Tel code: Time zone:
Nyalam County is a county in Tibet’s Shigatse Prefecture. It borders on Nepal.
The county seat is in Nyalam Town. The other town of the county is Dram, also known under its Tibetan name Dram, or Nepali Khasa. It is located near the border and is the point of entry from Nepal. At “merely” 2300 meters elevation about the sea level, Zhangmu has mild and humid subtropical climate, which is a rarity for Tibet. It is one of the four counties that comprise the Qomolangma National Nature Preserve (Nyalam, Tingri, Dinggyê, and Kyirong).
Highlights of Nyalam County
· Miarepa’s Cave: The cave is signposted “Milaraba Buddist Practice Cave” and is 10km north of Nyalam, at Gangka village.
· The Monastery Nyelam Pelgye Ling: The Miarepa’s Cave is part of the monastery Nyelam Pelgye Ling. But both cave and monastery were restored during the 1970s and so today again seven monks live in the monastery, two of them are guarding the cave.
· Lhotse (洛子峰): Lhotse, after Mount Everest, K2, and Kangchenjunga. Part of the Everest massif, Lhotse is connected to the latter peak via the South Col. Lhotse means “South Peak” in Tibetan.
· Peikucuo Lake(佩枯措): Peikucuo Lake is the largest lake in Shigatse area, covering an area of 300 km².
· Shishapangma(希夏邦马峰): Shishapangma, also called Gosainthān, is the 14th highest mountain in the world at 8,027 metres (26,335 ft) above sea level. It was the last 8,000 metre peak to be climbed, due to its location entirely within Tibet and the restrictions on visits by foreign travelers to the region imposed by authorities of the Government of China and of the Tibet Autonomous Region.
· Sino-Nepal Friendship Bridge(中尼友谊桥): The Sino-Nepal Friendship Bridge is a bridge spanning the Sun Kosi river, linking Kodari in Sindhulpalchok District, Nepal and Zhangmu, China.
· Zhangmu Port(樟木口岸): The beautiful Zhangmu Port, also known as Kasa, is Tibetan border town about 10 km (6 miles) inland from the Bhotekoshi or “Sun River”. Located on a mountainside with subtropical climate, Zhangmu Port is surrounded by lush greenery and damp fresh air.
Other Destinations in Nyalam County
Nyalam County Attractions
Brief Introduction of Nyalam Nyalam County belongs to the Mt. Everest Natural Reserve. It is rich in plant & animal resources, hydropower resources and tourism resources. The breathtaking natural landscapes and mild climate here attract a large number of tourists every year. It has been regarded as the best place for acclimatization before heading toward places with higher altitude, such as Mt. Everest Base Camp. Attractions of Nyalam County Miarepa's Cave The only cultural sight close to Nyalam is Miarepa's Cave. Milarepa was [...]
Nyalam County Tours
Nyalam (Chinese: 聂拉木; Pinyin: Nièlāmù), traditionally known as Tsongdu is a small Tibetan county near the Nepal border. It is 35 km from Zhangmu town in the same county, which is the point of entry to Nepal. Nyalam is situated at 3,750 metres (12,300 ft) above sea level. A town of stone buildings and tin roofs, it is nicknamed 'The Gate of Hell' by the Nepalese traders because the trail between Nyalam and the Nepalese border was so treacherous to negotiate. Heading [...]
Climate & When to Go
Climate Nyalam County enjoys a plateau temperate semi-humid climate. It has a severe cold winter. There is an obvious climate difference between the northern region and the southern region in Nyalam for the intervallic altitude difference. The northern region is always dry and cold while the southern region is warm and humid. Most of the precipitation in Nyalam is concentrated in summer and autumn. Geography Leaving Shelkar of Tingri county, marching towards the southwest along China-Nepal Friendship Highway, via Tingri Town [...]
How to Get During the tourist season, Nyalam County has long distance buses to Lhasa, Shigatse, which takes about 18 hours. Its departure time is fixed, every week there are about two to three buses. At the same time, many tourists are charter car or thumb a lift. Also there are buses send some foreign visitors out of the town, some will be returning empty, so hitchhiking is comparatively easy. China National Highway 318: the national highway no.318, high mountains and deep [...]
Festivals and Activities
If you plan your tour of Tibet well, not only will you be able to see the pristine beauty of the region, you can also participate in the numerous highly colorful Tibet Traditional festivals of the region. Hardly a day passes without some festivities, ceremonial observances or pilgrimages occurring in some part of the region or the other. Whichever festival you include in your travel itinerary, be sure to take lots of pictures. So trust us, you are going to [...]
Travel Guide Chinese Name: 聂拉木县 Recommended Visiting Time: 2 days Best time to travel Nyalam County: summer is the best to go As Shigatse Nyalam County is a remote place with high elevation, getting enough Nyalam County travel advice will greatly help you to plan and finish a wonderful trip to Tibet Nyalam County. By our several years of experience in organizing Tibet travel teams, here we share some useful information with you. Matters needing attention 1. Before you go there, you have [...]
These maps are about Shigatse Nyalam County, including location maps, region maps, tourist maps, attractions maps, and transportation maps. [...]
Nyalam County Accommodation
The basic facilities in Nyalam County have been greatly improved recent years. Several guesthouses and restaurants are opened to meet the demands of tourists. Tourists join the Kathmandu to Lhasa tours overland here could also replenish your necessary stuffs before heading toward Mt. Everest or Ngari. As a professional Tibet tour operator, Mysterious Tibet is capable to help you to reserve a guesthouse in Nyalam in advance and then you can take a rest directly after the toilsome journey from [...]