Butuo Lakes in Dêngqên County, Chamdo
Chinese Name: 布托湖
English Name: Butuo Lakes in Dêngqên County, Chamdo
Location: Located in Dêngqên County, Chamdo Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Butuo Lakes
Butuo Lakes（布托湖）are located about 25 km north of Dengqen County, Chamdo Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region and is a general term for the two alpine lakes, “butuocuoqing”（布托措青）with an area of 9 square kilometers and “butuocuoqiong”（布托措穷）covering an area of 6 square kilometers, which are upstream of Lancang River（澜沧江）.
The Scenery of Butuo Lakes
In summer, the broad meadow is full of the brilliant wild flowers and lush grass. The herders’ tents are dotted around the grasslands, where fat yaks and white sheep are grazing around like the dotted stars in the sky. Except for the gentle wind, there are only harmonious murmurs of the cow and the horse from time to time, which is very quiet and peaceful. There the horses and cattle scatter on the mountains and the grass, slowly and smoothly moving around like the clouds in the sky that decorate the mountains and lakes. They form marvelous moving scenery of Butuo Lakes.
Qamdo Bangda Airport, also known as Bamda Airport, is located about 174 km from downtown Chamdo, about 3 hour’s drive. It is the world’s highest civil airport, has the longest airport runway, and is influenced by bad weather. At present, it has air connections to Lhasa and Chengdu (on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday). In addition, the flight from Lhasa to Chengdu departs Bangda Airport on Tuesday noon. The flight from Chengdu to Lahsa departs Bangda Airport on Thursday morning. Shuttle buses to the town are available. A taxi from the airport into the town costs around CNY 250 to CNY 300.
By long-distance bus
Chamdoo can be reached by bus from Chengdu, Lhasa, Mangkang, Chayu, Nagqu, Nyingchi, Bowo and other places. Then visitors can have a shuttle bus to Dengqen County.
A SUV charges normally CNY 1000 per day and CNY 1500 in peak tourist season, both excluding gas fee.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: half a day
- Traveling Seasons: The best time to visit Dengqen County is May, June, September and October with the pleasant and lively weather.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Although Lhoka is at a relatively lower elevation area, some places of high elevation may easily cause altitude reaction. Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along one or two pieces of thermal clothing.
- Please try you best to respect the local folk customs, especially their religious belief and taboos when you traveling in Tibet.
- As well as the Tibet Entry Permit, you also need to apply for Border Permit for traveling as this destination lies near the Chinese territory boundary.
- Owing to the long distance and circuitous route, it is better to head for the attraction in the early morning.